Up to date with Ellie Rose

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Baby wearing


Here is a picture of John, wearing Ellie in a sling that his sister Mandy got for us.

6 comments:

john said...

This was just a trial run with the sling. I'm sure I can get it adjusted better and start trusting it more. Alisa really shouldn't have taken a picture. Especially when I'm wearing tie-dye. If I still had my pony tail, I'd look like a dang hippie.

Melanie said...

tie-dye and a sling!! (and are those the instructions in your hand?) LOL love it... when i got a ring sling for Allie, I had visions of how useful it would be, and I am sure it is, for children who don't equate baby wearing as something akin to torture... but my friend swears by them! Can you tell that due to illness (mine, the kids, the hubby's) I have hardly left my home in about 2 weeks??? The internet has become my sad little window to the outside so I am frequently checking for baby updates! Hope tonight goes more smoothly for you guys.

Mel

john said...

I am a little self-conscious about it. I know there is at least one major baby wearer on this blog. I don't want to look like a bad dad.

Yes, those are the instructions. When We got it, I figured that it was just like cinching up the belt on a saddle--and it is, but somehow the stakes are higher now.

It would be nice not to have to carry Ellie around in the car seat everywhere. We'll keep trying the sling. Ellie had no problem with it. Dad was a touch worried.

Mandy said...

I'll let you in on a secret. The first time I put on a ring sling, I may have thrown it on the ground. We sat down and figured it out and all of my kids have lived in slings, along with various other types of carriers. If Ellie is anything like her cousins, she's going to want to be up and looking around, soaking everything in.

As soon as Eamon and I are past our cold (and provided that no one else catches it), we'll be over to help you out. You can also use the mei tai with newborns - you just froggy their legs rather than having them around you. So, if you want something a little different, give it a try. Just cross the straps across your back wile using it in the front carry position.

Babywearing will calm her. Plus, it counts as tummy time. hmmm...I probably shouldn't go into my lecture about the physcial and emotional benefits of babywearing and the historical and ecological ramifications of such on the human race.

Alisa said...

Mandy,
When you come to see Ellie, maybe you can give John & I some tips on adjusting the slings. We're a little awkward with them right now, but I can see how they'll be very useful.

john said...

It seems like my baby is at the bottom of a fabric trench. I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to be like that, but I'm not certain how to arrange it better.

Post a Comment