No picture either. Somehow when my baby girl is screaming, I am not inspired to pick up the camera.
We have the sweetest baby girl in the world--except when she isn't. Well, she is always a good baby, but there are times when she is quite upset, but we're not really sure why or what to do about it. She became calm when I started the coffee grinder this morning. I thought that was weird, but I was willing to drink all of the coffee that might be needed. The novelty soon wore off.
Part of the problem is that breast feeding is not always a nice lady, if you know what I mean. When I went on my four AM run to the 24 hour CVS in Overland Park, I was tempted to pick up a can of formula. I didn't. I don't know if I made the right choice or not. Our pediatrician made a cute remark yesterday about ho the baby's need for milk and mom's supply of milk complement each other, almost as if they were designed to go together. I have a cute comment for him, but this is a family friendly blog.
As long as Dad doesn't believe there is anything physically wrong with Ellie, he is pretty calm about her screams. Dad waits tables in Leawood. If he can deal with those yuppies, he can deal with his own daughter honestly expressing her emotion. Mom takes it a little more personally. Alisa doesn't always realize what a great mom she is/will be. It's hard on a guy when both of his girls are crying.
Sorry about the long post--it was a long night.
Any advice?
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
It takes a bit to get breastfeeding down. They'll both get it and before long, Alisa will be a pro at nursing while typing on the computer, reading a book, or walking around with Ellie in the sling. Just hang out in bed with some good books and let Ellie nurse all she wants right now. Wait on Alisa so she can give everything to Ellie while they get it worked out.
I admire people who breastfeed, because no way could I have handled it, and I flat out knew it, the way my kids took to bottles immediately from birth has always made me wonder about the whole babies dont need milk until it comes in kind of thing, but I am no doctor, and I am quite sure they are right... like I said I just knew I didnt have the mental fortitude to handle it. Hugs to you all, it can be such a crazy journey... the whole not knowing whats going on, is heartbreaking! Do you have some of those gas drops?
We just got back from the pediatrician and the lactation consultant. Ellie had lost a couple of ounces, but is not dehydrated and is doing fine. I was afraid that the lactation consultant was just going to say that we were doing everything right and leave it at that. That would NOT have been helpful. I think that the ladies are doing everything almost right. I hope things go more smoothly now. I do believe that breast is best, but if the price of the best is a house full of tears, I might settle for second best. Keep your fingers crossed.
We do have gas drops. They work immediately to calm her, but don't last. I suspect that she is just distracted by a new sensation and then remembers that she is angry.
Relaxation is the first process . Everyone , mom , dad , and baby are so uptight when they first start out with all the life changes . However time will take care of things , so just sit back and breathe deep .
I know how frightening it can be and how one hates to see the precious baby cry , but trust me things will soon fall into place and the milk factory will be running in full force .
Bless you all , take a nap when you get the chance , every night will get better .
The more Alisa can relax while breastfeeding (I know easier said than done) the better. And let the baby nurse for as long as she wants to. Cash would nurse for over an hour sometimes when he was a newborn. I watched a lot of movies! Also Alisa should be drinking tons of water, that will help her supply. If you still think she's not producing enough, you can try Fenugreek. I think I found it in the health food section of HyVee. It will increase milk supply and make the baby's pee smell like maple syrup!
Do you have a swing? That might help calm baby.
We have some fenugreek here at home if you need it. Got it some years ago, and never use it.
Just be patient. We freaked out the first night Jasper was home about his being dehydrated, drove to Children's Mercy South ER, and was told to basically relax and keep at it. Doesn't make the crying any easier to cope with, but it actually gets better.
The fact y'all are a wreck is a good sign. Means you care and are trying.
Thanks everyone,
Things are better now. The doctor and lactation consultant were very helpful. A while after we got home she had a super 1.5 hour session, and since then has been catching up on napping and a little more nursing. I think part of the problem was too much supply. Really I think we'll be in good shape - she has a good latch, etc. - it's just a matter of us both getting used to it all. I will have to stock up on movies and books, as I think I'll be spending a lot of time on this in the future.
We do have the gas drops, they were helpful. I suspect she got a little gassy from all of the crying, the actual feeding doesn't make her very gassy.
Glad to hear that things are getting better!
Post a Comment